Allright, so I was watching Nodame Catabile for a requested review (it’s coming up soon, whoever asked for this) and I suddenly started this list and decided to well, finish it all today.
As you might have figured out, this will be a top 15 favourite female characters list (anime and manga). Ill also include a runner up list with those who might have made it, and the reason they didn’t. If you believe I’v missed someone great, wish to challenge my list or simply want to rant at me for whatever reason you see fit, shout it out in the comments (be sure to check the runner up list comming out soon, containing the characters that didn’t make it). Please note that sexiness/cuteness is not a major deciding factor but does have some influence on the placement.
15. Maiko Sugawa (Onani master): this might be an unconventional way to start off a list given the dark nature of this manga. This character was great simply because of the great turnaround she did, she’s just raised the bar for other character’s development. She made a great impression trought the short manga, and her bitchy character switching to affectionate got me to like her.
14. Nobue Ito (Ichigo Mashimaro): I think it’s the normalness of this character i fell in love with. That and her will to get life just a bit more exiting that is already is.
13. Tomoyo Sakagami (Clanaad): something that sincerely made me fall in love with this character would be the last episode of season one, it brought out all the niceness of the character, and all the awesomeness, cuteness, hidden characteristics, and comical value. She was great with and without her romantic plot. In the end, she was the best element of season one.
12. Mio Akiyama (k-on): A part of me is ashamed of placing her in my favourites, but I can’t deny it, her adorable nature, misplaced sense of shame and her cuteness made a mark in my mind. Obviously, her complicity with Ritsu also made her shine, but she just stood out a bit more.
11.Misato Katsuragi (evangelion): even if we only saw a small part of her, the background she had and her solutions on things made her amazing. Not only was she a kind hearted maiden, but even in death she tries to push the useless twerp evangelion had as a main character to action. She will be remembered for her odd nature, her twisted kindness and the penguin she had as a pet.
10. Faye valentine (cowboy bebop): not only was she one of the first example of an ‘’independent’’ female character, but her skills and stubbornness made her a unique character, even with all that time since the creation of Cowboy Bebop. She had a great backstory to back it all up and never failed to pull off a laugh out of me.
9. Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!): This adorable tsundere made her place for obvious reasons, her softening and progressively sweet attitude. She was a good character ripped between her friend and her love, not knowing what the good choice was. She was simply a great character, even if her action in the end enraged me.
8. Eva Heineman (monster): it was the great amount of character development and her ill personality that made me love this character. She is a character I started hating the second she talked, and that I learned how to love for her changing behaviour and her evil personality slowly becoming clearer. She represented the pure egoist mind of a being who knows nothing, only to discover her mistakes later on. Her change in character was worth a place in this list.
7. Mai Minakami (Nichijou): chaos, trolling and randomness were the tools of this girl to amusingness, not only was she fun and funny, her chaotic ways have pretty much set an example for future generations of random characters. She was the queen of randomness, and she made the list for that.
6. Misaki Nakahara (welcome to the NHK): even if she got borderline shunned in the second half of the anime, her developed background combined with her devilish and manipulative personality gave off a great and innocent looking character. She was as attaching as she was clumsy and downright selfish. She stayed since she was a character who you couldn’t really decide if she was just evil or naively good.
5. Rin Kaga (Usagi drop): this might be an odd choice for some, but I was amazed by character simply because she is a good depiction of what I would consider a child. She brings with her a sort of lightness and curiosity that was an acceptable depiction of children. All in all, she gave off an authentic feel and was simply, well… great.
4. Revy (Rebecca) (black lagoon): More than anything, her dialogue is hilarious. But the depth of her character and the way she acts troughout the anime is what made her great. Her recklessness and borderline evil view on things made her a character to be remembered. She was also badass as hell.
3. Makise Kurisu (steins gate): it was her passive/aggressive attitude in both romance and the anime in general that charmed me. Not only does she turn out to be a great developing character, but her assurance, overall intelligence/dialogue/quotes and secrets (2chan and the like) made her an attaching character that won’t is sure to have swayed some people’s hearts.
2. Haruhi Suzumiya (the melancholy …) / Yuki Nagato (same anime): I’m a fan of the Suzumiya series so it’s expected to find a character in this list, problem is, I couldn’t decide who I liked better, Haruhi for her awesomeness, her back-story, her will to make life more exiting, her character and her dominant/confident adorable attitude or Yuki with her mysteriousness, logical and cold rational reasoning or her adorableness, depth of character or her VERY subtle character development (and her role in the movie, she was amazing in that). Couldn’t decide between the two.
1. Horo the wise (spice and wolf): This might come as some surprise for some who know me, but Horo is definitively my favourite character from the time I started watching anime to now. Not only does she starts off as a great, intelligent, cunning, funny and interesting character going for a tsundere-ish archetype, but she changes and evolves with the story to become even more lovable and memorial.
Thats it boys and girls, If you want to see the runner ups, and why they didn’t make the list, wait 2 or three days (Too long article for one page, so separated this in 2 separate articles, but too lazy to get all the images right now)